- Currency : EUR
- Customer zone
Shopping cart is empty
|The Availability Of||Mało 5 opak|
|The bar code|
|Leave your phone||
Join the world of photographers passionate about the old photographic processes and take part in our workshop devoted to monochromatic gumprinting. Here you will discover the magic of the old processes, of photographs literally painted with a brush on pre-reated paper. Of photographs as painterly as no other prints, subtle and yet powerful. you will learn the trade of masters such as Steichen or Demachy.
Gum bichromate is one of the oldest photographic techniques, older than the silver gellatine print most of us know. At the same time it is a pictorial technique, allowing the photographer a considerable degree of freedom of manipulation while creating the final print and thus enabling him to create visual effects unavailable in other techniques. It was, one could argue, created as an antidote to the mechanical perfection of reproduction and lack of ability to manipulate the resulting image in the other early photographic processes and as such it still works perfectly in the age of mechanical perfection of digital photography.
As it requires much more work than silver or iron based techniques, gumprint was, with time, almost entirely replaced by the much less time consuming silver gellatine print which, in turn, lost its position to digital images. Yet today, when we have become tired of the super saturated, technically perfect digital images, gumprint has once more proved to be a perfect solution.
Gum bichromate prints are unique and even their author is unable to make an identical copy; a quality that makes gumprints highly collectible and increases their value. The time and work required to create a single print also foster a special emotional reaction with one’s work.
The programme includes:
- theoretical introduction,
- preparing paper for gumprinting,
- presentation of gumprints,
- tips on preparing negatives for gumprinting,
- making a multilayred gumprint,
- assessment of prints made during the workshop.
- detailed handout
The following will be available during the workshop:
- All the materials required for gumprinting, including gellatine sized papers and necessary chemicals,
- fully equipped darkroom,
- workshop negatives for gumprinting
- practice negatives,
- facilities to print a digital workshop negative from participant’s own file (2 pcs),
- hot drinks (tea and coffee),
- home made dinners
What you will learn:
- to prepare paper for gumprinting,
- to prepare negatives for gumprinting,
- to make a multilayered, monochromatic gumprint,
- to prepare prints for display.Duration: 16 hours (Saturday – Sunday)
Number of participands: 6
Instructor: Radosław Brzozowski
Language: English and Polish
Price: 990 PLN (approx 200 euros).
Date: 18-19 May, 2023
Location: Trąbki Wielkie, Poland
Nearest airport: Gdańsk Rębiechowo, Poland